[j-nsp] Upgrade from M10i?

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Tue Feb 3 12:47:47 EST 2009

M120 is nice, but if all you need is ethernet, the MX will be much more cost effective over time.  Plus, no oversubscription on the ports.  More costly upfront, but compare the cost per GE port and the MX wins hands down.  Judging from the requirements of being a transit/peering edge router, I wouldn't say the DPCE-R-Q DPC is necessary, so this makes the DPCE-R-20GE-2XGE (2x10GE and 20x1GE) an attractive choice.  IMO, the only reason to use the M120 is if you require non-Ethernet access.  While MX can now do non-Ethernet PICs, I can't see how it's worth taking up two DPC slots to do so, unless you have slots to burn and *really really really* need to throw a SONET PIC into it to satisfy a particular part of your network design that can't be satisfied throwing an add'l router in at a fraction of the cost.

-evt