[j-nsp] network engineering

Matthias Gelbhardt matthias at commy.de
Fri Feb 6 04:09:30 EST 2009

Hi!

I have a little network engineering question and I would like to know
the best practice for that.

We have asymmetric routing in several cases. I would like to know, how
you would deal against that? Is there a simple way to send the packets
out of the same interface, they are received? But on the other hand,
many packets are send out by us, and we do not know, where the other
side is sending their packets into our network.

Is there a way to get an information, on which interface, better on
which BGP session the reverse path is coming in? Yes, there are
traceroute sites and looking glasses, but not for every network we
deal with.

The way I see it, the only way is to get the information, on which
interface the packets coming in (either by using a tool on the box or
by asking the network operator itself) ans then setting a local
prefernce to send the packet out of the same interface.

Any better ideas?

Regards,

Matthias