[j-nsp] network engineering

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Feb 6 05:29:18 EST 2009

On Friday 06 February 2009 05:09:30 pm Matthias Gelbhardt
wrote:

> We have asymmetric routing in several cases. I would like
> to know, how you would deal against that?

The moment you're multi-homed to the Internet, asymmetric
routing is a fact of life; and it's not really a bad thing.

How traffic leaves or enters a network is a function of best
path dynamics vs. cost and bandwidth available. And this
goes for both your network and the others on the Internet
(including your upstreams/peers).

Maximizing capacity and cost efficiency is an on-going
exercise for any network engineer running a BGP network. The
individual dynamics usually vary from network to network.

Monitoring flows is a good way to find out how best to
engineer your traffic.

Cheers,

Mark.