[j-nsp] XFP and XENPAK

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Feb 6 15:46:55 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:37:30PM +0300, Ruslan A. Magomedov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Did somebody try to have LW XENPAK working in 10Gig Ethernet PIC. I am
> asking
> this question generally because LW is not mentioned in the PIC specification
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/m-series/m320/m320-pic/10-gigabit-ethernet-pic-with-xenpak-m320-router.html#ten-ge-xenpak

With very few exceptions (generally caused by bugs, really poorly
written code, or vendor locking gone awry), XENPAKs and other pluggable
optics are are universally supported in any format for any device which
accepts them.

To Juniper's credit, I can't say that I've ever seen them fail to
support the basic functionality of a pluggable optic, or play any kind
of vendor locking games. They probably just don't sell LW XENPAKs
directly, and thus have no reason to list it as supported or unsupported
in documentation. From that webpage, even in versions of code which
predated "support" for the SR or ZR optics, the only thing that probably
wasn't "supported" was displaying the name of the part correctly in the
CLI.