[j-nsp] L2VPN Across MX480

Joseph Soricelli joe at proteus.net
Wed Feb 11 17:39:34 EST 2009

All-

Got a simple L2VPN setup with some 7609 as CE and MX480 (9.2R3) as PE
(no P boxes).

7609----MX480-1----MX480-2----7609
   CE           PE                 PE               CE

L2VPN comes up with no issues. In troubleshooting some intermittent
ping and L3 issues from the 7609 side I notice that the switches do
not see each other via CDP, nor to they seem to be seeing each other
via STP.

It hasn't been THAT long since I was doing one of these last but I'll
be darned if I can recall this specific tidbit. So, am I crazy, or
should those packets be passed through the L2VPN just fine?

As a side note, I think the problem might actually be on the 7609 side
since I see output packet stats on the PE but no inbound packet stats
on the CE. But, I gotta make sure my STP/CDP assumption is correct
before I start throwing stones! ;-)

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph Soricelli