[j-nsp] Native ScreenOS / J-Series / SSG-M

Patrik Olsson polsson at juniper.net
Thu Feb 12 04:10:57 EST 2009

Hello!

>Looking for a little verification here. I know that with an SSG-M
>platform you can choose to run either JUNOS-ES or ScreenOS. Can the
>same be said for the J-series routers?

Yes. J series can run Junos for Jseries, Junos ES or ScreenOS.
SSG-M hardware and J routers is exact same hardware (unless you have the
old Avaya Telephone thingie installed which came with some J series
bundles).

But you need to be aware. The upgrade (downgrade? :-) between ScreenOS
and JUNOS (whether it is JUNOS or JUNOS ES) can be done without a
compactflash swap only in one direction. I think JUNOS can install on
ScreenOS. But if you want to install ScreenOS, you need a new clean
flash. (or if it all was the other way around)

Cheers

Patrik
JNCIS-M, JNCIS-ES