[j-nsp] Question on BGP Peering/Upstream STM1-Juniper

Berislav Todorovic beri at mcvax.org
Mon Feb 23 18:12:32 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, chenoi A wrote:

>> For information...iam using cSTM1... ..if my customer request for 4M
>> internet via ethernet port..then i will request from my upstream for
>> 4M internet...may i know how is the configuraton here....

Well, you can try to start with:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos94/swconfig-network-interfaces/example-configuring-channelized-stm1-interfaces.html

Then eventually bundling multiple interfaces into multilink ppp, or
using EBGP multihop or EBGP multipath, but all three options
introduce enormous operational burden. And there are limitations.
Plus, your provider needs to support it + have clueful personnel to
help you in the middle of the night if that monster breaks.

If I were you I would rather consider using a normal STM1 interface
and a policer/rate-limit/CAR on the provider side. Mostly standard
setup nowadays and upgrade is a matter of minutes.

Regards,
Beri