[j-nsp] IP Management

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Feb 25 02:49:30 EST 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 02:27:26 pm chenoi A wrote:

> if anyone could share their way of ip management or maybe
> some sample...i realy much appreciated it....and it may
> give me the good and d best idea how to manage my own ip
> block.

It all depends on three things:

a) how much space do you need?
b) how much space will you get?
c) what are your growth projections?

The above issues typically address (no pun intended) the
limitations of IPv4, i.e., it's currently being severely
strained.

This is not such a big problem in IPv6 as RIR's will
allocate a /32 to service providers.

You seem to have the general idea of how to slice your
address allocation for internal use. What we normally do
(and this applies both to v4 and v6) is:

a) Set aside a block for your router Loopback interfaces.
   Take this from the main PoP's block so that you don't
   waste addresses assigning Loopback addresses from blocks
   reserved for other PoP's - makes identification easier
   too.

b) Set aside a block for each PoP. Slice a piece for:
	- infrastructure interfaces
	- WAN point-to-point links between PoP's
	- WAN point-to-point customer links
	- management VLAN's

The actual block sizes depend on the network, so my
suggestions above are generic. Scale as needed.

The idea is to do this in such a way that you can achieve
maximum internal routing aggregation without wasting address
space or losing optimal reachability.

Cheers,

Mark.