[j-nsp] l3vpn for IPv6 Unicast - Issue

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun Jan 4 14:57:16 EST 2009

> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:09:08 +0100
> From: Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:03:05PM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> >     local-address 2001:db8::3:ff7b;
> >     family inet6-vpn {
> >         apply-groups BGP-OUTBOUND-POLICY6-L3VPN6;
> >         unicast;
> >     }
> >     export BGP-OUTBOUND-POLICY6;
> >     peer-as 65000;
> >     neighbor 2001:db8::5:ff79;
> >     neighbor 2001:db8::5:ff78;
>
> This would "native" IPv6 MPLS L3VPN support, which isn't there (no
> customer demand, yaddayadda). There is only 6PVE support (6PE hack for
> L3VPNs), which means you transport the IPv6 L3VPN NRLI within IPv4
> BGP transport sessions, not IPv6 sessions (and thus having IPv4 BGP
> NEXT_HOPs).

The number of features missing for IPv6 from all vendors) is very
frustrating and several are far more serious than this one. (Actually
it's not an issue for us.)

Unless your iBGP mesh is very small, it's far easier to run a single
mesh. We have always exchanged our IPv6 routes over an IPv4 iBGP mesh
just to make things more manageable. When we see really complete IPv6
support in JunOS, we will move both v4 and v6 announcements to run over
a single IPv6 mesh, but I suspect that will not be something for us to
worry about for at least a couple more years and probably until after I
retire.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)