[j-nsp] l2circuit or l2vpn

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:45:24 EST 2009

  I've found better vendor interop using l2circuit, as someone else on
the list mentioned, and have had them working between JNPR, Foundry,
Cisco, and even lower-end MRV switches.  I find the configuration of
L2circuits simpler in JUNOS as well.  However, if better traffic eng
is what you need, the comments made by others in this thread are very
pertinent as well.

  If you're talking multipoint and using VPLS, BGP-signalled VPLS is
nice in JUNOS because of the autodiscovery, whereas LDP-signalled VPLS
requires that you visit every PE that a given VPLS customer touches if
you add 1 more site on a new PE (although vendors like Foundry are
adding some kind of autodiscovery to account for this I
think...perhaps Juniper will too).  Also, likely better vendor interop
here too, with LDP-signalled.

My $0.02

David