[j-nsp] l2circuit or l2vpn

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Thu Jan 8 16:14:28 EST 2009

David Ball wrote:
>   I've found better vendor interop using l2circuit, as someone else on
> the list mentioned, and have had them working between JNPR, Foundry,
> Cisco, and even lower-end MRV switches.  I find the configuration of
> L2circuits simpler in JUNOS as well.  However, if better traffic eng
> is what you need, the comments made by others in this thread are very
> pertinent as well.
>
>   If you're talking multipoint and using VPLS, BGP-signalled VPLS is
> nice in JUNOS because of the autodiscovery, whereas LDP-signalled VPLS
> requires that you visit every PE that a given VPLS customer touches if
> you add 1 more site on a new PE (although vendors like Foundry are
> adding some kind of autodiscovery to account for this I
> think...perhaps Juniper will too).  Also, likely better vendor interop
> here too, with LDP-signalled.
>
> My $0.02

The fun question...

Is there a way to accept many l2circuits and switch traffic between them
in a VPLS like fashion without burning many physical interfaces?

Example, 15 remotes running l2 circuits from a vlan subint on the remote
to a central <insert box here>, that runs a switching instance between
all the l2circuits within the group _without_ an actual physical
interface on the central box to terminate each l2circuit.

Think poor mans VPLS, where many remotes are available, but only support
EoMPLS/l2circuit and not true VPLS.