[j-nsp] l2circuit or l2vpn

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 19:33:12 EST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Christopher E. Brown wrote:

> David Ball wrote:
>>  I've found better vendor interop using l2circuit, as someone else on
>> the list mentioned, and have had them working between JNPR, Foundry,
>> Cisco, and even lower-end MRV switches.  I find the configuration of
>> L2circuits simpler in JUNOS as well.  However, if better traffic eng
>> is what you need, the comments made by others in this thread are very
>> pertinent as well.
>>  If you're talking multipoint and using VPLS, BGP-signalled VPLS is
>> nice in JUNOS because of the autodiscovery, whereas LDP-signalled
>> VPLS
>> requires that you visit every PE that a given VPLS customer touches
>> if
>> you add 1 more site on a new PE (although vendors like Foundry are
>> adding some kind of autodiscovery to account for this I
>> think...perhaps Juniper will too).  Also, likely better vendor
>> interop
>> here too, with LDP-signalled.
>> My $0.02
>

> The fun question...
>

> Is there a way to accept many l2circuits and switch traffic between
> them in a VPLS like fashion without burning many physical interfaces?
>

> Example, 15 remotes running l2 circuits from a vlan subint on the
> remote to a central <insert box here>, that runs a switching
> instance between all the l2circuits within the group _without_ an
> actual physical interface on the central box to terminate each
> l2circuit.
>

> Think poor mans VPLS, where many remotes are available, but only
> support EoMPLS/l2circuit and not true VPLS.

If the aggregation side supports LDP-based VPLS the end node doesn't
necessarily need to know it's VPLS.  I know vendor "A" supports doing
this on their larger agg side devices that support VPLS.  They use an
internal "connector" mechanism to tie an Eth PW service into a VPLS
service.  This allows multipoint connectivity for the spokes, where
MAC learning is done on the hub and the spokes just blindly send
traffic out.   You might be able to do something similar with Vendor C
and the more advanced linecards, since they support connecting a
virtual switch interface to a remote site via EoMPLS.  Not sure if you
can connect that to multiple sites though.  The same thing may be
doable on the MX960 but I've only seen mention of tying a VPLS
instance to a bridge-domain, not a l2circuit.

Otherwise you are stuck doing the cable out and back in type of trick,
which should work on the MX960, would probably only require two ports,
given the ability for the device to bridge vlans together or rewrite
vlan-ids.

Phil

Phil