[j-nsp] ex4200 static arp

Adam C. Greenfield adam.greenfield at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:47:00 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Ross Vandegrift <ross at kallisti.us> wrote:
> Maybe there's a use-case I'm not aware of, but when would you want all
> of your active devices to receive all traffic?  I'd want each active
> device to receive 1/n of the packets, and so would use something like
> equal-cost routes.
>
> But maybe you have some active-active setup in mind that doesn't split
> the traffic?

Not a use case I am quick to defend, but it is worth mentioning that
this appears to be how Windows Server 2008/IIS 7 "clusters" work. The
servers in the cluster reply to ARP queries for the "shared IP" with a
MAC address that is never used to originate traffic - thus causing
traffic to the shared IP to be broadcast to all hosts in the collision
domain because it is never added to layer 2 MAC tables.

-Adam