[j-nsp] DMVPN on Juniper

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 06:18:36 EDT 2009

[apologies if you receive this on-list twice.]

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the equivalent functionality to DMVPN is in
the world of Juniper?

I understand there's "ACVPN" available in ScreenOS, but does anyone
actually use this? Our local Juniper team didn't give us a warm, fuzzy
feeling about this feature.

As a side note, is it true that the any-to-any dynamic IPSec
functionality that became DMVPN in Cisco world was actually developed
by NetScreen prior to being acquired by Juniper? Is it true the
functionality hasn't been developed to the same degree it has in IOS?

We are looking at a (~60 site) deployment with Juniper CEs, using a
service provider's L3VPN product, but CE device selection is proving a
challenge -- we'd prefer not to roll out what seems to be a legacy
platform in the SSGs, but the functionality apparently isn't there yet
in JUNOS. Deploying hub-and-spoke in 2009 seems a bit backwards.

If anyone has any anecdotes about ACVPN, or tips on how to achieve a
similar configuration using a JUNOS-based device, please chime in! :-)
The network will be supporting VoIP traffic, hence the any-to-any
connectivity requirement.

cheers,
Dale