[j-nsp] DHCP static bindings on J2320

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Thu Jul 16 14:15:48 EDT 2009

I've noticed the same problem on my J's too.  Looks to be a uniqueness
in the implementation of the DHCP server in JunOS.  DHCPd under Linux
and Cisco's built-in DHCP server do not exhibit the same behavior.

What I've been able to track it to is that it is a interaction when
the client re-requesting the address it originally had since it does
not believe that it has expired.  So when the client comes back up it
promptly does a DHCP-request to re-validate the address is still OK to
use.  The server happily give the address back to them (it's not in
use since you cleared it), and ignores the static.  That   would imply
that statics only come into play when a DHCP-Discover is generated by
a client and not validated when a DHCP-request comes in.

The way I got around it was to clear the lease, plop the device onto a
wholly different network allowing it get a different address there and
then move it back.  Since the client no longer has a address that will
work correctly with just a DHCP-request, it has to do a DHCP-discover
and gets the new static in the DHCP-offer response.

David