[j-nsp] MPLS CCC on EX4200

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Jul 30 04:22:18 EDT 2009

I'm trying to set up a point-to-point link between two sites using EX4200s,
joining several ports at one site to several ports at the other site. It
seems like the ideal way to do this would be with a layer 2 encapsulation
technique such as CCC, tied in with MPLS - especially if the system was
expanded to multiple sites.
I have configured this with RSVP for label distribution, and OSPF for
loopback distribution. When the link between the two sites comes up, it
takes quite a while (more than a minute) for the MPLS labels to be
distributed, but I presume this is either "normal behaviour" or I need to
set something to speed this up. That's not my problem, however.

The intermediate link is a plain old standard ethernet circuit. When I
connect two laptops, one to each end of the MPLS circuit, then can ping each
other fine. They can't seem to do HTTP traffic. I can login with WinSCP but
it won't download the directory listing. Running several pings from the
Windows laptop tells me that the maximum buffer size it can use is 1458,
leading me to believe that this is an MTU issue, and the packets aren't
being fragmented correctly.

Is there a common solution to this problem? Any advice appreciated.

Matthew Walster