[j-nsp] Restore M7 to initial state

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jul 31 13:22:46 EDT 2009

> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:35:51 +0200 (CEST)
> From: sthaug at nethelp.no
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> > masood at Voyager# load
> > factory-default
>
> The problem with this is that it won't let you commit without setting
> a root password. Now if I want to create something which looks like a
> factory fresh router it I specifically don't want it to have a root
> password.
>
> So, a small request for enhancement here: JunOS should let you commit
> an *empty* configuration even if root password has not been set.
>
> > You might also need to delete configuration
> > archives nd logs. Have a look @
> >
> > /config
> > /var/db/config
> > /var
>
> It would be nice to have a ready-made command to clean these (and any
> other directories that might have been written to).

And, as I keep reminding people, if you REALLY don't want to expose your
passwords and configurations, the only safe solution is to drop into the
shell, and 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1'.

This erases the hard drive. I then pull the flash and plug it into
my laptop and 'dd' over that, too. Then replace the CF card and boot up
on the distribution media to install a clean JunOS.

This will make sure RAS never gets a chance to read your config. :-)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)