[j-nsp] Safe Shutdown

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Mon Jun 1 11:16:49 EDT 2009

Hey all,

Out of curiosity, I wondered what happens on a Juniper router when you
issue a "request system reboot" command? What I'd *like* to happen is:

Release all VRRP masterships (priority 0 or the like).
Send a BGP notification to all eBGP peers.
Send a BGP notification to all iBGP peers.
Withdraw routes on OSPF.
Turn off interfaces.
Reboot.

I get the distinct feeling it just dumps everything to off though,
without notifications, so anyone connecting with BGP through a switch
still believes the connection is up until either the hold-time expires
(eBGP) the OSPF route for the loopback disappears (iBGP) or even
worse, iBGP and OSPF are down, but VRRP still maintains it's
masterships, causing useless packet droppage!

Anyone have any insights into the reboot process? I normally
deactivate services one-by-one until ready to reboot, but if it did it
"the right way" I'd consider testing it out in our test rack...

Matthew Walster