[j-nsp] EX3200/4200 software | Requesting Clarification

Kari Asheim ka at mork.no
Wed Jun 10 12:23:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 07:59:52AM -0700, Bill Blackford wrote:
> I'm a bit confused on the current versioning train. I have 9.4R1.8 running on my 3200's. People have posted on this list stating that the latest is the greatest with the EX series being so new and all. With that strategy in mind, I'm getting ready to upgrade the latest 9.5. Yesterday, my Juniper rep sent me a notification about 9.3S1.6. This seems to be a special release and perhaps outside of the standard train.
>
> Now, do I back rev to this one or do I wait for a 9.4 or even 9.5 version to come out?

It depends on wether you need 9.4 features.  If not, the 9.3S1.6 is
said to fix a number of issues.

> <rant>
> My other concern is that I seriously hope that Juniper isn't going down the path that Cisco chose to support an endless serious of code forks and thusly creating a Winchester House labyrinth of JUNOS choices.
> </rant>

I have so far never seen old bugs show up again in Juniper code, as I
have seen with another vendor.  Also, I think the fixes in the S
releases will be incorporated in all regular releases.  The S release
is not a new branch, but a service release, in between regular
releases.

Kari