[j-nsp] 13 Tips for Passing Juniper Lab Tests

Joseph Soricelli joe at proteus.net
Mon Jun 29 18:24:57 EDT 2009

In all seriousness part of my advice does include having a good
breakfast - in addition to getting a good night's sleep and arriving
early to the testing center. When I was proctoring these exams from
2001-2005 I can't tell you how many people failed due to feeling
rushed (arrived at 8:55) or from a sugar crash, etc.

I agree that experience and hands-on time are critical to the exam. I
also like the tips about reading all of the steps before you start
typing and about asking the proctor for clarification.

In the general test category I would also add one about drawing on
your network maps as well as making notes on them (helpful for routing
policy).

Specific to the exams themselves, for the JNCIP I would suggest
knowing the following:
- How to quickly put "generic" information (system, snmp, etc.) on all
routers in your pod
- How to do design a hierarchical IGP topology
- How to build a scalable (RR and Confed) BGP topology "correctly". I
saw many a topology design met the criteria but fail to actually pass
the correct routes. Worse yet, some of them formed routing loops.
- How to build ISP-style routing policies. I'm not talking about basic
route filtering here, but doing them in conjunction with communities,
route damping, LP alterations, and AS Path filtering.

I generally say that the JNCIP has a narrow topic list (really system,
IGP, BGP, Policy) but that you need to know those topics really well.

When talking about the JNCIE, the topic list grows exponentially - and
you still need to know those topics really well. Important things to
be cognizant of include:
- The ability to make 3 different IGPs exchange routes with each other
across mutual points of redistribution in more than one place in the
network. Oh, btw, no routing loops or instability. ;-)
- Setup a scalable MPLS-TE network able to survive network outages and
provide adequate connectivity to the network.
- Setup both L2 and L3 MPLS-VPNs networks
- Build a large multicast forwarding topology which utilizes different
paths than the unicast traffic while also being able to cross AS
boundaries
- Design and replicate a CoS setup given specific criteria (a bit of a
typing exercise but what else is new about CoS)

HTH,
Joe

PS - I'll also post this to the blog as well.

Joseph Soricelli
JNCIE #14/ CCIE #4803
703-980-3999
joe at proteus.net