[j-nsp] ISIS metric of redistributed directly connected routes

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Mar 1 18:39:19 EST 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 01:53:24 am Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> But the observed metric value from router A on all of the
> routes being "redistributed" in this way from router B is
> 20, even though the interface metric between routers is
> only 10. The loopback route (which isn't redistributed)
> has a correct value of 10. A show isis database detail
> confirms that the other routers are receiving the
> "redistributed" route with a metric of 10 before adding
> interface costs. After playing around with it for a bit,
> I was able to reset this to 0...

This is the behaviour we have also seen in JunOS.

We use 'passive' rather than 'redistribute' for interfaces
we need to do this on.

In JunOS, we have seen that Loopback interfaces passively
introduced into the IS-IS topology have a correct metric of
0. So there is no ambiguity from another router's point of
view in the network, that reachability to the Loopback
address has a metric similar to that of the router's
physical interface(s) itself.

This is the same behaviour in IOS.

However, we've noticed that passively introducing physical
interfaces into the IS-IS topology always adds a cost of 10
to routes associated with that interface, which creates the
behaviour you're seeing.

Conversely, IOS will maintain routes whose physical
interfaces have been passively introduced into IS-IS with a
metric of 0.

We don't use the 'reference-bandwidth' command in our IS-IS
domain, so we default to the little documentation Juniper
have about this that, with the exception of the Loopback
interface - which inherits a metric of 0 - all other
interfaces default to a metric of 10 if the 'reference-
bandwidth' command is not used.

Perhaps Juniper folk on this list can elaborate further.

Cheers,

Mark.