[j-nsp] Announcing aggregate route via BGP to peers

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 3 14:18:30 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 10:43:02AM -0500, John Center wrote:
>> I'm unclear on what you mean here.  Do you mean that it is advertising
>> 153.104.0.0/16, or that it is advertising all the contributing members
>> of that aggregate?
>>
> It's announcing all aggregate routes being seen, plus the locally
> defined one.  Since we have 2 ISPs, Abilene, local edu peers, etc., this
> isn't what I wanted to do.

Aggregate routes are a local concept.  You can't receive aggregate
routes over a routing protocol, because then they would be BGP routes
or OSPF routes or whatever protocol they came from.  "aggregate" isn't
really a protocol, even though it is treated as one locally.

>> Do you want to control which routes contribute to the aggregate?  You
>> can define a policy for that.  For example, to only allow static,
>> direct, and OSPF routes to contribute to (make active) the aggregate:
>>
> All I want to announce is the locally-defined aggregate, not the
> contributing static routes nor the ebgp aggregates.  Coming from the
> Cisco world, I would just have a network statement & that would be
> sufficient.  But, JUNOS behaves differently, & I'm still learning how
> best to handle this.

If you apply a policy that matches "protocol aggregate" and rejects
everything else, then that is exactly what you will get.

Can you show how you have applied your policy to BGP?  e.g.:

protocols {
    bgp {
	group FOO {
		export BGP-ANNOUNCE;