[j-nsp] New flash card in M7i

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Mar 3 23:32:44 EST 2009

> From: Reza Sharifi <sharb at msn.com>
> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:51:14 -0500
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Has any one tried Cisco Flash card in a Juniper router? I put a 1Gig Cisco Flash card in an M7i, but it did not recognize it.
>
> Does the FC need to be format differently?

Yes.

The easiest way is to use a Juniper to clear the memory. Here are our
internal instructions. ESnet nor I are responsible for any issues or
errors with this.

To prepare the compact flash card for installation, we need to wipe out
any existing filesystem. After that is done, install the compact flash
card in the router, boot the router, snapshot the router, and then
reboot onto the newly installed compact flash card.

    * Prepare the Compact Flash card
          o Put the compact flash card in the front-panel PCMCIA slot of
            a currently running Juniper
          o Log into the router, then execute a unix shell:
                + start shell
          o If you're not root, su to root

          o Look for the device of the compact flash card in
            /var/log/messages - it will probably be ad3. The rest of
            this procedure assumes that the compact flash card shows up as ad3.

          o Zero out the first portion of the compact flash card:
                + dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad3 bs=512 count=1024
          o Pull out the compact flash card.

    * Shut down the router, install the compact flash card on the
      routing engine.
    * Boot up the router. It should now complain about running on
      alternate media - this means that it saw the compact flash card
      and was unable to boot from it.
    * Snapshot the router
          o Log into the router with administrative privileges
          o Snapshot the router with the partition option:
                + request system snapshot partition
                + The router should successfully snapshot
    * Reboot the router - it should boot from the compact flash card,
      and should no longer complain about running on alternate media.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)