[j-nsp] Traffic Information

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Mar 4 13:31:51 EST 2009

--- bmannella at teraswitch.com wrote:
From: Brendan Mannella <bmannella at teraswitch.com>

Wondering what the best/preferred method of capturing network traffic for analysis is. Using a mirrored port or actually sending the flows directly to a collector. Looking for pros and cons of each approach.

Also if you can give me some examples of whats used as a collector. I have been looking at ntop on the open source side and inmon traffic sentinel on the commercial side.

Be careful with NTop.  Turn everything off and turn on only what you need little by little.  It can consume a LOT of CPU cycles.  However, it gives you a LOT of information as well...

scott