[j-nsp] Announcing aggregate route via BGP to peers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Mar 5 07:21:27 EST 2009

On Tuesday 03 March 2009 11:43:02 pm John Center wrote:

> All I want to announce is the locally-defined aggregate,
> not the contributing static routes nor the ebgp
> aggregates.  Coming from the Cisco world, I would just
> have a network statement & that would be sufficient.
> But, JUNOS behaves differently, & I'm still learning how
> best to handle this.

Damn that IOS 'network' command :-).

What we do is very simple:

a) Write your aggregate as a static route pointing to
   'discard'.

b) Write a policy statement that uses a route-filter to
   match exactly on this prefix.

c) Include that policy statement as yet another 'term' in
   your BGP export policy.

d) Done!

We are not particularly fans of "aggregated" or "generated"
routes - they seem overly complicated for what we need to do
:-).

Cheers,

Mark.