[j-nsp] Urgently Need Sample of IP Address Plan

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 16 16:28:45 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:58:34AM -0700, chenoi A wrote:
> I need some advised and sample perhaps... I have being searching
> net, reading books, get some advise, ARIN/APNIC guide, etc but i
> still think i miss the idea.
>
> i have block of /22. What is the best way to manage and allocate the
> ip ... what iam thinking now is for infra, customer, loopback.
>
> is it ok if i divide it to 4 x /24. where should i start from
> here....? do i need to allocate 1 block for customer, 1 block for
> loopback and 1 block for infra...what is the best practice. if i got
> some example or sample that would give me more understanding on how
> to do this ip plan.

How many routers do you have now?  How many do you expect to grow to?

How many links between routers do you have now?  How many do you
expect to grow to?  Include links to customers in these counts.

Those two things will tell you how much space you should reserve for
loopbacks and point-to-point links, repectively.

How many customers do you have?  What are their address space needs?

How many servers do you have?  How many workstations, IP phones,
printers, etc?  Will they all be in one place, or in different pops?
Do you want to segregate servers from workstations?  Do you want to
provide WiFi access on a separate subnet?

> i want to ensure my ip plan is well manage and properly assign, no
> waste of ip. i want to ensure i fully utilize the ip given from RIR.
>
> Please help me..please do assist me...much appreciate if got sample
> of ip plan as my guideline.

Figure out how many subnets you need and how big each subnet should be
based on answers to the above questions.  Leave some wiggle room for
growth within each subnet (but not too much these days or ARIN won't
approve your request).  Round up to the nearest power of 2.  Pack the
subnets together into whatever space you can justify.

e.g. for an Infrastructure block:

5 routers = 5 /32 loopback IPs, round up to 8

8 links between core routers
20 customers
----------
28 /30 PtP link subnets = 112 addresses total, round up to 128

2 DHCP/DNS servers
2 Web servers
2 Mail servers
2 database servers
2 application servers
2 file servers
----------
12 server IP addresses, round up to 16

10 staff workstations
10 staff IP telephones
3 staff printers
------------------
29 workstation IP addresses, round up to 32

Maybe have a DHCP pool for your LAN portable devices: 32 addresses

Pack the above like this:

Infrastructure 10.10.10.0/24			256
	Point-to-Points	10.10.10.0/25		128
	Workstations	10.10.10.128/27		32
	LAN DHCP Pool	10.10.10.160/27		32
	WiFi DHCP Pool	10.10.10.192/27		32
	Servers		10.10.10.224/28		16
	Loopbacks	10.10.10.240/29		8
	FREE		10.10.10.248/29		8

For customer assignments, you make them justify their needs in the
same way so you can size their assignments properly and fit them into
the space you request from ARIN.