[j-nsp] JUNOS not compliant with RFC 3392?

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Mon Mar 30 16:13:35 EDT 2009

All:

We are establishing a BGP session between an M120 and a Checkpoint firewall.  The Checkpoint does not support 4-byte ASs.  It is sending the Notification to the M120 indicating so, but the M120 keeps sending the capability code everytime it trys to reestablish.

Doesn't that make JUNOS non-compliant with RFC 3392?

A BGP speaker determines that its peer doesn't support capabilities
   advertisement, if in response to an OPEN message that carries the
   Capabilities Optional Parameter, the speaker receives a NOTIFICATION
   message with the Error Subcode set to Unsupported Optional Parameter.
   In this case the speaker SHOULD attempt to re-establish a BGP
   connection with the peer without sending to the peer the Capabilities
   Optional Parameter.