[j-nsp] JUNOS not compliant with RFC 3392?

Jonathan Looney jonlooney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:34:33 EDT 2009

If what you describe is true, it does not make JUNOS non-compliant with RFC
3392.  The word "SHOULD" is defined in RFC 2119:

3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

Therefore, failure to behave in this way would not make any OS
non-compliant.  It would just mean that they chose not to implement a
general recommendation in these particular circumstances.

Having said that, as I recall, there is a difference between not supporting
a particular capability and not supporting capabilities negotiation in
general.  Do you know which type of notification the Checkpoint is
generating?

-Jon