[j-nsp] JUNOS upgrade validation sucks lately

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed May 6 11:20:11 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 11:33 -0400, Eric Van Tol wrote:
> Understood.  Since this is the case, I'd suggest that Juniper fix their JUNOS Hardware Validation tool:
>
> http://tools.juniper.net/microcode/
>
> They're getting into Cisco IOS Software Advisor territory by allowing invalid hardware configurations to get past the tool that's supposed to help spot such things.
I agree with you, upgrades like that should fail `validate` when you
install the package, too.  And I have had several cases where EX-series
configs passed validation but, well, were not valid post-reboot.  Once
the whole box wouldn't function after reboot because mgd or something
similar was crashing due to a syntax change in the config file, so all
the interfaces were offline.

Juniper could stand to take notice of issues like this and improve the
validate process for several platforms.  I know it's not a substitute
for checking the documentation before an upgrade, but ... on EX this has
been a real problem between several various because of syntax changes.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> +1-212-981-0607
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts