[j-nsp] Layer 3 VPNS used for customer MPLS domains

Bourgeois, Jake (Jake) jake.bourgeois at alcatel-lucent.com
Tue May 19 18:37:47 EDT 2009

Hello,

Can juniper provisioned Layer3 VPNS be used by its customers to create
their own VPLS or E-Pipe from their CPE to other CPE's (assume OSPF
CE-PE)?

I see MSO's (Multi-Service Operators in case this is not as common a
term as I think)  use the vendor I work for to offer Ethernet services
via VPLS and e-pipes all the time, since these are Ethernet based the
MSO is unaware of the traffic type within the payload so could be
several types including MPLS labels.  How about if the MSO were say a
t640 and supplying an l3vpn?

I have heard of possible extension of LDP into an l3vpn but I am not
sure how that works or of it is true, and if RSVP is supported also.

Does anyone have any document explaining how this works?

How about scaling limitations if in fact it works, but causes the number
of VRF's to be limited etc.  I know scaling isn't handed out freely, but
hey I am trying to leverage a juniper core, not replace it :)

Thanks and Regards,

Jake