[j-nsp] Layer 3 VPNS used for customer MPLS domains

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Tue May 19 21:04:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

A couple comments:

A L3VPN customer could use MPLS over GRE from their CE devices. The SP
would play no part in the MPLS.
A prerequisite for signaling across the SP would be for routing
information in the core to be exposed (ie. typically joining the core
network's IGP), and this would not be directly possible. There are
ways to make the routes available from master's inet.0 into the VRF
but this would be involved.

You can do a few things to offer MPLS to customers.
Have customers do MPLS over GRE
Service Provider creates VPLS domain and lets CE's do their own MPLS
mesh
Implement Carrier of Carrier (CoC)
Implement Interprovider VPN

See: https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-vpns/interprovider-and-carrier-of-carriers.html
#part-cofc

Carrier of Carrier / Interprovider VPNS are designed to address a
scaling issue; so I would say that they scale pretty well. CoC will
not require the customers' customer routes to be installed into their
RIBs.

Kind regards,
Truman