[j-nsp] IPv6 best practice

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Tue May 26 01:17:48 EDT 2009

Hi,

Congrats! If you have MPLS in your backbone, you can continue to use
IPv4 as the transport for your MPLS signaling. With this approach you
can run 6VPE and build a VPN for your inet6 traffic. This is a common
approach for "getting things going". All v6 stuff just rides across
MPLS and your core doesn't know the difference.

If you plan to carry inet6 routes in a non-ipvpn topology, you can get
your core "dual stack"; if you run OSPFv2 today you will need to
consider OSPFv3 or ISIS to carry IPv6 in your IGP.

You can have all your ipv4 configuration coexist with ipv6.

You can also use logical routers / virtual routers / etc, if you want
separation at that level.

Kind regards,
Truman