[j-nsp] IPv6 best practice

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Wed May 27 03:40:07 EDT 2009

Matthias,

When you say parallel IPv6 network do you mean on the same
infrastructure links that you use for IPv4? You can certainly do this.

If you want tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 with GRE you can do this with JUNOS:

http://www-jnet.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-services/example-configuring-an-ipv6-over-ipv4-tunnel.html#id-14311339

This may be useful if you want to have some customers or peers to
connect with but your upstream is not routing IPv6 at this time.

What JUNOS does not do at this time is 6to4 or NAT-PT. At this time,
dual stack is probably the way to go for (in your example FTTH)
subscribers. The IETF and SP community is still trying to sort out
what to do when we truly run out of IPv4 addresses and we *can't* do
dual stack because we only have IPv6. Carrier Grade NAT (CGN)
solutions have been proposed, and they may get us out of trouble for
sometime, however NAT'ing millions of sessions is going to be very
intensive and will take time to perfect.

Truman