[j-nsp] MX960 JunOS recommendations

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Nov 5 13:04:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 03:39:32PM +0200, Andrei Radu wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> We will be installing our first Juniper MX960 router in the network.
> We were a 100% Cisco shop and this is our first Juniper router. The MX
> will be a P/PE node
> in a pretty standard MPLS backbone network surrounded by Cisco 7600
> routers, running OSPF, MPLS/LDP, BGP and PIM sparse-mode, no layer 2
> or layer 3 VPNs whatsoever. Equal cost load-balancing over multiple
> 10GE links is a must. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stable
> JunOS version to run ? I'm currently looking at 9.5 or 9.6, I see that
> 10.0 came out on the 4th of November but from our experience with
> Cisco IOS releases we are reluctant to use the latest & greatest
> release.

As a general rule, I'd recommend always running the newest release of
the newest Extended End-Of-Life version of JUNOS.  Currently, that is
9.3R4.4 released in August.

10.0 will be out soon, and should be an E-EOL version, but I would say
hold off until R2 or R3 before upgrading unless you absolutely need a
feature only available in the new version.