[j-nsp] junos 10.0 / interface-range implementation

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Fri Nov 6 04:53:46 EST 2009

Just reading the release notes for 10.0 I found myself thinking "Yes!
finally! An interface range command for the EXes!", only to learn that
this is a strange mixture of a concept somewhere between apply-group &
interface-set - it's NOT the simply yet incredibly effective cisco-style
which would allow stuff like

edit interfaces
set range ge-0/1/0-47 family ethernet-switching vlan members 123
set range ge-0/1/0-23 (default rate limit, default filter, etc)

So basically, I can now group my interfaces and have those grouped
interfaces share certain characteristics. That's nice for some
applications, but it does not help at all with the problem of
provisioning one-off stuff on ports that are not really grouped (meaning
that each port might end up with a totally different config at some
point in time) but that still should be configured identically
initially. So watch out, it's not the "interface range" many folks were
expecting.

:(

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of Network

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, Mobilfunkpreise ggf. abweichend