[j-nsp] MX960 JunOS recommendations

Tima Maryin tima at transtelecom.net
Wed Nov 11 09:11:56 EST 2009

Uhm, i see your point here.
We indeed have cisco - cisco - Jun - Jun setup

My cisco interface mtu = ip mtu = mpls mtu =9000
But i reeeealy doubt that bgp keepalive packet size can come close to that mtu.

On Juniper i set interface mtu = cisco mtu +14 and it works fine!
And! As you say, it reports different mpls mtu value:

 > show interfaces xe-1/0/0 | match MTU
   Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 9014, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps, Loopback:
None, Source filtering: Disabled,
     Protocol inet, MTU: 9000
     Protocol mpls, MTU: 8988
     Protocol multiservice, MTU: Unlimited

As far as i understand "default mpls mtu" term (not sure that i _fully_
understand it though) it seems, Juniper supposes 3 labels maximum.
I dont see any reasons for device to drop packets which has 1 or 2 labels and
bigger than mpls mtu, but still ok from interface mtu point ov view.

As per your logic, device should drop all traffic that match such criteria but
it seems only bgp session keepalives and i didn't see any other problems

But still, i made an experiment on Juniper and cisco which has bgp session
between them.

cisco:
#sh mpls interfaces g 0/0 detail  | i MTU
         MTU = 9000
#sh ip int g 0/0 | i MTU
   MTU is 9000 bytes
#sh run int g 0/0
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 212 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
  description --- to 7606-2 ---
  mtu 9000
  ip address 10.3.13.2 255.255.255.0
  load-interval 30
  duplex full
  speed 1000
  media-type gbic
  no negotiation auto
  tag-switching ip
end

If i set mtu 9000 under family mpls and commit it, it looks like this:

 > show interfaces xe-1/0/0 | match MTU
   Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 9014, LAN-PHY mode, Speed: 10Gbps, Loopback:
None, Source filtering: Disabled,
     Protocol inet, MTU: 9000
     Protocol mpls, MTU: 9000
       Flags: Is-Primary, User-MTU
     Protocol multiservice, MTU: Unlimited

and problem still persists

please let me know if you have any other ideas :)

p.s. Its the same effect if i set tag-sw mtu 8988 on cisco and leave it
'default' (=8988) on juniper