[j-nsp] MX960 JunOS recommendations

Krzysztof Szarkowicz kszarkowicz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 05:56:16 EST 2009

Let me guess.

Your network is multivendor network (JNPR and CSCO) and some transit devices are CSCO?

CSCO and JNPR uses different algorithm to calculate default MPLS MTU (if MPLS MTU is not explicitely
configured) which results in 4 byte difference between CSCO side and JNPR side of the same link for
MPLS MTU (the IP MTU is equal on both ends, so no problem with OSPF).

If on JNPR side your MPLS MTU is say 1500 and on the CSCO side the MPLS MTU is 1504, when the CSCO
device send an BGP update packet towards JNPR device with size 1502, this packet is dropped by JNPR
device (as it is to big), and TCP ACK is not sent back. CSCO is keeping by resending this 1502 long
packet, and JNPR is constantly dropping. Thus, after hold timer expires, the Notification message is
sent.

I assume that with 9.3.R3.8 you didn't catched the '1502' packet sizes.

Could you check with some show commands, what is the MPLS MTU on both ends of the link (which is
terminated on CSCO on one side and JNPR on other side)?

//Krzysztof