[j-nsp] BGP strange problem on M10i

Ramesh Karki rameshkarki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 09:10:02 EST 2009

Hello all,

We are facing some issues on Juniper M10i, i.e.

First, we had to hard reset the bgp peer whenever we change the policies
(inbound policy) that we had set. By just doing soft reset the router will
not take effect of that changed policies until we do hard reset. Sometimes
even after hard reset, some strange issue were faced as for command:-

# sh bgp summary -

shows the peer is established but the line Active/Received/Accepted shows
0/0/0 respectively. However, we can view the received route on BGP table but
it does not announce any prefixes towards that peer for return traffic. Last
time when we had deactivated BGP, it wasn't updated-( BGP remained active).
Only after rebooting the RE, the router operates as configured.

If anyone has faced similar issue, I would appreciated any sort of help in
this regard.

Thank you,

Ramesh Karki