[j-nsp] EX3200 Odd behavior on cacti

Bill Blackford BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us
Wed Oct 7 16:05:35 EDT 2009

Has anyone seen this:

I am currently using a EX3200 in a routing capacity. At any given time it receives some good PPS bursts. I've graphed it at 100k PPS and 150-200M on my upstream interface. Should be nothing for a line rate device. However I'm seeing a drop in graphed bandwidth that consistently coincides with a high PPS count on my cacti graphs. I try to capture an event using 'monitor' but haven't yet. My interface counters show no errors or problems. What I may be experiencing is a problem with SNMP or with cacti even though my cacti instance doesn't follow this pattern for other devices. I would like to verify if traffic actually drops or is SNMP gets stupid when a high number of packets are blasting through the router.

Since cacti uses 5 minute trends, in order for something to even show up (extreme bandwidth drop) it would have to be very low for most of that period.

Is there a way to log interface stats in near real time? At least the high and lows in an attempt to correlate these events.

Thanks

-b

--
Bill Blackford