[j-nsp] EX Routing Throughput

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Oct 7 21:30:25 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 09:17:55PM +0000, Chris Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Havard Eidnes wrote:
>
> >>Now one thing I feel compelled to add, because I ran into it the other
> >>day, is that the ex DOES have IPv6 firewall filter support, although
> >>it seems hidden.
> >
> >Yes, it's able to parse the config, but the config when applied
> >gets prepended with this comment block:
> >
> >## Warning: configuration block ignored: unsupported platform (ex4200-24t)
> >##
> >
> >So much for that.
>
> which is completely sensible since ipv6 has been 'production' for... 10
> years now? weee!

EX has a ton of missing features which are blocked like this. Which is
actually better than how it used to be, where they would commit and then
the box would crash and require a physical powercycle to recover.

The sad part is that IPv6 support (to say nothing of firewall support,
which is still extremely lacking on all fronts) isn't roadmapped until
2011 on "big EX". Why Juniper doesn't want this platform to have a
chance to succeed is beyond me, I guess they figure it's no fun if they
don't wait for the competition to catch up.