[j-nsp] __default_arp_policer__

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Oct 20 03:10:44 EDT 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009, Bit Gossip wrote:
> https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2009-May/013325.html
> and only ~40000 arp requests received a reply from M7i
> which makes roughly ~222 arp-reply/sec
> My conclusion is that the setting for __default_arp_policer__
> are perfectly fine and there is no need to apply a custom arp policer to
> any interface.
>
> What is the opinion of the experts over there?

There's a drawback to this.  __default_arp_policer__ is (AFAIK)
global, so an ARP storm on interface X will result in ARP timeouts on
interface Y.  It's also impossible to track via counters which
interface had an ARP storm.  Compare e.g.:

JUNIPER-FIREWALL-MIB::jnxFWCounterPacketCount."__default_arp_policer__"."__default_arp_policer__".policer = Counter64: 0
JUNIPER-FIREWALL-MIB::jnxFWCounterPacketCount."ARP-POLICER-ge-1/0/0.0-inet-arp"."ARP-POLICER-ge-1/0/0.0-inet-arp".policer = Counter64: 0
JUNIPER-FIREWALL-MIB::jnxFWCounterPacketCount."ARP-POLICER-ge-4/0/0.0-inet-arp"."ARP-POLICER-ge-4/0/0.0-inet-arp".policer = Counter64: 376

A bit tangential:

If there's an ARP storm, it is often due to an ethernet loop and is
actually a broadcast storm.  Then I suppose there's also other L2
broadcast traffic that's hitting the RE.  'Family any' L2 policer on
loopback would be interesting to test; I've been intending to do that
for a while but haven't gotten around to doing so.