[j-nsp] CLI/OP Script Interaction

Nilesh Khambal nkhambal at juniper.net
Thu Oct 22 21:50:16 EDT 2009

I think you should be looking for commit-script for your requirements. I
don't think JUNOS can validate the configuration as they are being entered.
It can only perform the built-in CLI validity checks. Commit-script has the
ability to validate your candidate configuration at commit time against the
rules you define in the script. It can either add/fix your broken
configuration by adding the missing configuration or fail your commit with
an error or give you a commit time warning if the configuration being
committed does not meet the standard you define in commit-script.

AFAIK, OP scripts are mainly used for simplifying or automating some cli
operations to show you the customized outputs or do some other customized
tasks. It is generally not a good practice to perform configuration
changes/commits using OP scripts.

I am not a script expert. So I would defer it to the experts on the list.

Thanks,
Nilesh.