[j-nsp] 802.3ad Question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Oct 31 03:10:32 EDT 2009

On Friday 30 October 2009 01:19:27 am alexi wrote:

> I´ve been reading that the load balancing in the bundle
> (balancing between physical interfaces in the same
> bundle) may be achieved using different criterias like
> source or destination IP ... but it seems is a global
> configurarion  and dont understand why
>
> do you have experience configuring load balancing schemes
> ? any hint would help

In our case, the 802.1AX links are between a Juniper M7i and
a Cisco 6500 (the 6500 is running as a pure Layer 2 switch).

On the Cisco side, the default 802.1AX load balancing
schemes they are support (and we're using) are:

#sh etherchannel load-balance
EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration:
        src-dst-ip
        mpls label-ip

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:
Non-IP: Source XOR Destination MAC address
  IPv4: Source XOR Destination IP address
  IPv6: Source XOR Destination IP address
  MPLS: Label or IP
#

On the M7i, this is what we have:

test at lab# show forwarding-options
hash-key {
    family inet {
        layer-3;
        layer-4;
    }
    family mpls {
        label-1;
        label-2;
        label-3;
        payload {
            ip;
        }
    }
}

[edit]
test at lab#

We're aggregating 3x Gig-E links between both devices, and
it's working fairly well. Traffic distribution from the M7i
to the 6500 is 1:1:1, while traffic distribution from the
6500 to the M7i is 1:1:0.7 (but this direction is governed
by other Layer 3 devices upstream of the 6500).

All in all, not too bad for us, now.

You might want to look into 'family multiservice' on the
Juniper side, which provides load balancing at the MAC
layer. But it has different attributes depending on the
platform in use. We haven't tried working with it (but could
if we consider services such as VPLS in the future).

Cheers,

Mark.