[j-nsp] Restore M7 to initial state

Andrea Montefusco andrea.montefusco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 06:46:00 EDT 2009

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>> masood at Voyager# load
>> factory-default
>
> The problem with this is that it won't let you commit without setting
> a root password. Now if I want to create something which looks like a
> factory fresh router it I specifically don't want it to have a root
> password.
>
> So, a small request for enhancement here: JunOS should let you commit
> an *empty* configuration even if root password has not been set.
>
>> You might also need to delete configuration
>> archives nd logs. Have a look @
>>
>> /config
>> /var/db/config
>> /var
>
> It would be nice to have a ready-made command to clean these (and any
> other directories that might have been written to).

Steinar,

you are right: it is impossible to restore the machine
to true 'factory default' because the JUNOS doesn't allow to
commit the config, after a

load factory-default

with no or empty root password.

On the other side I was unable to create a root user with
empty password via JUNOS regular commands.

     *am*