[j-nsp] Miercom Competitive Performance Testing Results: Cisco ASR9000 vs Juniper MX960

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Thu Sep 24 06:31:46 EDT 2009

If I remember correctly, they configured things that caused some sort of memory search cycle to be exhausted, which is something that is not possible in a TCAM-based solution.  In addition, they used "cheap" LAN modules to make it look as though the 7600 was "low cost", even though they fail to mention that those LAN modules don't support the same features that the M10i GE ports did.  You would have to purchase OSM/SIP modules to support those same features, which raises the cost considerably.  There was also something having to do with the specific number of ACL entries, which makes me question why in this new report, do they choose specifically 2010 and 4020 VPNs.  Not sure if it has any significance, but it sounds hinky to me.

-evt