[j-nsp] Experience with J series

Gregory Agerba gregory.agerba at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 10:45:25 EDT 2009

Chris, thanks for your input.

> I've seen much more in 1 Gb of RAM.; however 300k routes is fine for the
> global routing table. (which is ~290k or so). You'd have room-to-spare.

Good. Juniper probably ensure at least 300k routes, with other features
turned on.

> Yes. I've worked with J4350's and J6350's with 2 Gb of RAM, holding 2
> complete eBGP tables each and an iBGP table. for a total of 800k routes.
> Also seen it (by misconfiguration) hold 1.2 Million routes in BGP/inet.0.

Good again and for half price of a green C7201 ;-)

> Full GUI supported (web-Gui on the box) - however, as always, the power is
> in the command line. JunOS is easy to use, easy to learn, and "makes sense"
> from a command-line configuration perspective.

I rarely use GUI. On Cisco they produce loads of useless lines. I am a big
fan of CLI since my first Linux box. However, that's more in case someone
less skilled has to take it and add a firewall rule in case I am off few
days or whenever my plane would crash, until they change them.

I've seen JunOS generates nice OpenBGPd-like configuration files. I am
familiar with HP cli and Foundry CLI. I've also heard that JunOS is way
different than Cisco but that once you get used to the synthax, you don't
want to get back on Cisco one.

However, that is no big risk. They seem to be a nice option at all levels:
price, performances and features. I am just not sure to buy the DRAM from
Juniper, 800$ for one extra GB is a bit expensive.

--
Gregory Agerba - IT Consultant
Email : <gregory.agerba at gmail.com>