[j-nsp] scb RT: Failed prefix delete IPv4 - x.x.x.x/24 (No memory)

Steven Brenchley bresteven at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 22:37:07 EDT 2009

Hi Matt,
     These errors mean you've run out of memory on the SCB.  The router
tries to add a new route but because the memory is full it fails but the RE
thinks the route was uploaded to the SCB.  Later when the toplogy changes
the RE tries to remove it from the SCB and the route remove action fail
because the route is not in the SCB to delete.  If your normally running
close to your max and you have some route churning this can trigger these
kind of errors.  If this is the case restarting the SCB would clear the
issue for now but I would look into upgrading the memroy... if possable.  if
your still running high after the reload then your just out of memory.   If
your running under 80% after the reload then this may have been caused by a
memory leak.

Your show jtree output shows that your are out of memory

SCB(router vty)# show jtree 0 memory
Memory Statistics:
   4194304 bytes total (4 banks)
   4194304 bytes used
         0 bytes free          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
      4064 pages total
      4064 pages used
         0 pages free          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        31 max freelist size

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Matt Yaklin <myaklin at g4.net> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am seeing these error messages.
>
> /kernel: RT_PFE: RT msg op 2 (PREFIX DELETE) failed, err 1 (Unknown)
> scb RT: Failed prefix delete IPv4 - x.x.x.x
> scb RT: Failed prefix delete IPv4:0 - x.x.x.x/24 (jt delete failed)/24 (No
> memory)
>
> Besides failed prefix deletes, I am also seeing them for prefix adds.
>
> I thought this error message was rather clear cut to what the problem
> could be. As in the scb was running out of memory. But that does not
> seem to be the case based on the output below.
>
> This is an old M40 running an older JunOS release. A very old release.
> 5.7R2.4. (I expect a few chuckles here).
>
> user at router> show chassis scb
> SCB status:
>  Temperature                 26 degrees C / 78 degrees F
>  CPU utilization              1 percent
>  Interrupt utilization        0 percent
>  Heap utilization            28 percent
>  Buffer utilization          44 percent
>  Total CPU DRAM             128 MB
>  Internet Processor I           Version 1, Foundry IBM, Part number 3
>  Start time:                    2005-03-22 19:43:37 UTC
>  Uptime:                        1650 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes, 5 seconds
>
> user at router> show chassis routing-engine
> Routing Engine status:
>    Temperature                 31 degrees C / 87 degrees F
>    DRAM                       512 MB
>    Memory utilization          50 percent
>    CPU utilization:
>      User                       1 percent
>      Background                 0 percent
>      Kernel                     1 percent
>      Interrupt                  0 percent
>      Idle                      98 percent
>    Model                          RE-1.0
>    Start time                     2005-03-22 19:41:26 UTC
>    Uptime                         1650 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes, 30
> seconds
>    Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
>                                       0.07       0.06       0.02
>

> But after some reading old of posts to this mailing list I
> saw this post:
>
> http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2008-October/011550.html
>
> root at router> start shell pfe network scb
>
> SCB platform (200/266Mhz PPC 603e processor, 128MB memory, 256KB flash)
>
> SCB(router vty)# show jtree 0 memory
> Memory Statistics:
>    4194304 bytes total (4 banks)
>    4194304 bytes used
>          0 bytes free
>       4064 pages total
>       4064 pages used
>          0 pages free
>         31 max freelist size
>
> Free Blocks:
>  Size(b)    Total(b)        Free       TFree       Alloc
>       8     3102208         153           0      387623
>      16     1092048         125           0       68128
>      24          48           0           0           2
>      32           0           0           0           0
>      40           0           0           0           0
> [...]

Steven Brenchley