[j-nsp] OSPF Configuration Changes

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Mon Sep 28 12:13:50 EDT 2009

Hey there,

I'm currently using the default reference-bandwidth for OSPF (presumably
100M) and would like to change this to 10G to reflect link-capacities more
accurately.

I have a mix of M7i, MX240 and J6350 at the moment - most of which are
running 9.5, though I believe the J-series routers might be running 8.5.
There are 8 routers in total.

Is this change "safe" to make on a live system, i.e., will it reset the OSPF
link-state database, or will it just re-broadcast an LSA as it does in the
Cisco world?

Additionally, if I was to add OSPF traffic-engineering type 7 LSAs in
preparation for adding MPLS to the network, is that "safe" to change on a
live network? Would it be advisable to change everything at once (with
commit confirmed, of course), or to stagger it over a number of iterations?

Input appreciated.

Matthew Walster