[j-nsp] vrrp groups

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:42:45 EDT 2009

Hi.

255 Groups. It's not a Limit on the M10i, it's how VRRP works.

VRRP creates a Virtual-MAC-Address to use as the MAC<>IP for the VRRP
address (i.e. the MAC address that's returned when a device ARP's for
the address)

The "GroupID" in the VRRP config is used as the least-significant byte
on the MAC.... Hence values of 0x00-0xFF (0 to 255) only.

Someone correct me here if i'm grossly mistaken.

Regards,

- Chris.