[j-nsp] vrrp groups

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Mon Sep 28 19:10:59 EDT 2009

I think it depends on re type, and OS version, and some changes have been made to alter default intervals and to push vrrp into the pfe (distributed ppmd) to insulate it from RE cpu spikes. Generally speaking, the faster the interval and the slower the RE, the fewer groups before you hit issues.

AFAIK, the we can do 255 groups per IFL and up to 1024 per IFD/system, with sufficiently long timers and a fast enough RE. Note that while you can assign the same group number to multiple ifls on the same IFD best practice is not to as this can cause some issues with learning bridges as noted below, each group shares the same v-mac.

Regards